Certainly the ARPAnet is the best-known TCP/IP network. However as of June, 87, at least 130 different vendors had products that support TCP/IP, and thousands of networks of all kinds use it. The internet is a global network of computers that use protocols and data packets to exchange information.
- The description above indicated that the IP implementation is responsible for getting datagrams to the destination indicated by the destination address, but little was said about how this would be done.
- Ethernet is a family of related protocols which deal with how data is sent along ethernet cables – it isn’t a single protocol.
- For example, static routing is limited to small networks and does not scale well.
- Both TCP and UDP control how packets are prepared for sending across the internet and what happens to them when they are received on the other side.
- There are four different layers within